Do Churches Need to Comply?
Places of worship are not exempt from Health and Safety legislation. Environmental Health Officers still enforce Health and Safety legislation in places of worship under the Health & Safety
(Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998.
The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 (Section 4 (2)) imposes a duty on people who have control of premises to ensure that the premises, means of access and any plant or substance in the
premises, are safe and without risk to health.
A good starting point for all churches would be to appoint a Health and Safety sub-committee including a member with specific responsibility for Health and Safety.
- In Health & Safety IGNORANCE is no defence, and can lead to prosecutions.
- Don't let your Church become a statistic because it failed to meet basic Health & Safety Requirements!
- Volunteers carrying out work within Church Organisations and premises are treated the same as employees and have similar rights.
ROHSS can help make your Church compliant with Health & Safety Legislation
- Review your current H&S arrangements and recommend improvements.
- Review and/or write a new Health & Safety Policy.
- Review and/or write applicable Risk assessments.
- Electrical Safety
- Set up and implement an Electrical Portable Appliance Inspection and Testing programme.
- Carry out a Periodic Electrical Wiring Inspection and Test.
- Review and/or write Fire Risk Assessments.
- Fire Evacuation procedures.
- Inspect and Test Emergency Lighting and Fire Detection Alarm Systems.
- Review your existing Fire Extinguisher Service plan.
- Review Food Hygiene arrangements, and recommend improvements.
- Develop and implement procedures.
- Provide training where required.
- Review security arrangements.
- Access control.
- Outside lighting.
- Alarm Systems.
- First Aid Arrangements.
- Who's responsible?
- First Aid Kits.
- Recording accidents.
- Health & Safety Audit
- Implement improvements.
Compliance packages are tailor made to suit your organisation, therefore ROHSS will be happy to meet with your property or facilities team, and provide an no obligation quotation. Evening meetings
can be arranged if required.
Full details available by contacting us.